Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grateful for the Little Things

I came home from work yesterday to a semi-clean house. I hired a housekeeper, which lasted for about two weeks before my husband just about had a heart attack over the cost of housekeeping. He said he would vacuum the house for eighty dollars every two weeks. Ah yeah, we'll see about that. Anyway, needless to say, my house is recovering itself to its normal, chaotic, craziness, and I am on strike. I really want to see my hubby actually clean the whole house all at once. Then I will pay him eighty dollars. So imagine my surprise to come home to a minimally clean house. I was just about to call and thank him when my six year old, Micky, comes walking out of her bedroom, apron around the waste. "I cleaned the kitchen, the basement, Andy's bedroom, and I'm working on my room." I'm thinking to myself, "Okay, what did she do, that she is trying to make up for?" But I look at her huge grin and the pride she has when pointing out all of her cleaning, and I don't care. My little Micky seriously made my entire day, all by herself. So I gave her a gigantic hug, and about 50 cents (a lot cheaper than eighty dollars), and honestly smiled as I made dinner, something I haven't done in a long time. (Dinner and I are not good friends.) I can say that her one little act of kindness made the whole night great for everyone in my house. I gotta love her! Of course, it wasn't until I was going to bed that night that I found the empty Pringles canister that she had eaten ALL BY HERSELF, but hey, you can't have it all, can you?