Friday, October 3, 2008

Horrors!

I came to a gross realization today. I...Am...A...Geek. I truly am. I am the band geek that never joined the band. That is exactly how I feel today. These are my conclusive reasons for being a geek
A) I listen to and love weird music. I sometimes crank Ella Fitzgerald and Doris Day in my car. I actually love putting on my headphones and turning up "Ballads"; Meatloaf, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi: the really great Hair Band love songs of the eighties. I also don't mind listening to the bubble gum pop my kids listen to. I actually like listening to it, but say I had to download it off of itunes for them.
B) I like to watch Disney Channel sitcoms. I think 'The Suite Life' and 'Wizards of Waverly Place' are funny TV shows. I don't watch cartoons because of my children. I truly like watching cartoons. It's really pathetic.
C) I wear the ugliest glasses ever made. They are like a cross between "the fifties" working man and some eighties couture model. I've worn glasses since I was in third grade, and I have tried to convince myself that it makes me look smart, but I am sorely mistaken. They definitely make me look like a geek.
D) I like to dance. I pretend I am good at it and that I'm a cool mom for dancing with my kids. However, as I was "trying" to dance the other day with a couple of students, I realized that I looked like my mom when she would try to dance with us. I'm getting to be an older person who should never embarrass my children by trying to show of my "awesome" dance moves. (As a matter of fact, I think even using the word "awesome" makes me a geek.)
E)I sing really loud in my car, and I am sure that other people have noticed it. I groove and get into it and don't even think about it. Today I passed someone on the road doing the same thing, and thought to myself, "What a weirdo", of course it took me a minutes to realize that I had to stop singing myself to notice this. I have now taken a vow to never do it again, and to be honest, it makes me sad. I like doing it and will probably still practice in the safety of my own home.
and Last but not least F) I used to get really mad that when my best friend in high school and I would double date, I always got the ugly, dorky one. "Why do I always get stuck with him?" I would ask myself. Then I realized recently that they were thinking the same thing. I was the ugly, geeky friend they were getting stuck with. GASP! What goes around comes around I guess.
Therefore, I am taking an oath today to try to stop being geeky. I am doing it in the name of my children, who I will undoubtedly embarrass if I keep up my antics. However, no one can stop me from putting on my full nerdy bravado when in private. So if you're going to visit, please call first, and I will hide my black rim glasses, stash my meatloaf CD at the back of my closet, and quickly flip over to "Dancing with the Star". After all, I have my reputation to protect. :0)

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! And I totally sing a the top of my lungs, in the car. I will be adding you to my Reader immediately!

Strawberry Shortcake said...

Please, PLEASE don't stop being a geek :) I think that is one of the only things that make me truly unique (the rest of me is pretty boring). All of the things you do make you Margie and not a geek. I wouldn't have you any other way! And, isn't that what parents are for? To embarrass the heck out of their kids? My mom still does it to me (don't tell her that, I don't want to get sent to my room!). I agree and do most of the things on your list accept for Meatloaf. There you have crossed the line, my friend. I will leave you to yourself with that one, but give me N'Sync and I will pop and lock it like it's hot! You are awesome, like totally! :)

JoElle said...

I think there's a geek in all of us. I sing in the car too, but it's more to songs like The Ants go Marching, and Baby Baluga...a Raffi favorite.

Kristina P. said...

Your lipstick comment made me laugh. When I told Adam the shade, he said, "Why can't it just be red?'