Monday, December 1, 2008

A Few of My Least Favorite Things

This last weekend was spent in humongo preparations for setting up Christmas Decorations...aka I had to clean my house. I have realized something in the last couple of months that makes this very hard for me. I HATE CLEANING MY HOUSE. Now in all fairness, it isn't all bad. However, this post is a tribute to the things I truly despise when trying to clean my house. Here is the list, not in any particular order...

1. Clothes Left on the Bed and Bed not Made
Now I love my hubby with all the tender mercies of my heart, but he does this to me all the time. He decides that the sheets on the bed need to be cleaned (I mean, it's only been a month :) So he strips them off the bed and puts them in the wash. Next, he takes whatever was in the dryer and throws it on the bed. Last, he leaves for work. I come home and in my hustle and bustle do not notice this until it is time to go to bed. Thus, to finally lay my weary head on my pillow I have to wait for the sheets to dry, fold and put away a load of laundry, then make the bed when the sheets are done. Not pleasant. Sometimes I just get a blanket and throw the clean clothes in the corner. It is the only way I can rebel against this lot I have been given.

2. Human Road Blocks
Every time I try to vacuum my floor, my 1 year old decides to stage a sit-in strike against clean floors. It goes something like this... I turn on the vacuum, he dashes in from some other room in the house, he lays down in the middle of the floor, I turn off the vacuum, he stands up and goes back to playing, I turn on the vacuum, he comes running back in...and the cycle continues. I guess he doesn't want me to clean the floor so that he can eat the leftover crumbs underneath the table or something, but UGH! Drives me crazy.

3.Counters So Messy I Don't Where to Begin. Have your counters ever looked like this? Mine either. I mean, this is just a picture I found on the internet. (wink, wink) I can not stand so many things smooshed altogether like this. You pick one thing up to put it away and the others multiply and replenish while you're gone. It takes me forever to clean up when my counters get like this. I try to keep them sparkling, but sometimes I get so busy and the next thing I know it has degraded to...well...see above picture.


4. Bill Paying and Drawer Cleanouts 101 Okay, once again... Love my hubby. BUT...bill paying is a disaster. Whenever he pays the bills, he leaves everything out. I don't know his filing system or how he has it organized, so I just have to pile it into a pile and throw it on top of the fridge (picture of fridge afterward not included). The other thing he does is clean out what we lovingly refer to as "The Junk Drawer". The only problem with this is that he leaves the contents just sitting on the counter. Hello! I have shoved all those papers, knick knacks, old paper clips, broken pencils, and hotel matchbooks in there for a reason. The reason you ask? So they won't be on the counter. I seriously want to tear my hair out when he does this.

5. Old Wrappers Shoved into Heating Ducts.
Okay, I don't have a picture of this because I was so mad about it, I just had to yell at my kids and send them to their rooms when I discovered it. I found out that garbages are not the "in" thing in my house anymore. I mean, why go all the way to the garbage can in the other room, when there is a sweet and convenient place to store trash in every room. It is called a heating duct. You just lift up the grate, shove your undesirables in there, replace the grate, and voila,you have a secret hiding place for that fruit snack wrapper from the fruit snacks you gobbled down in two seconds. I was wondering what that weird smell was whenever the heater kicked on. DISGUSTING!

So if I ever become a saint,make it to the Celetial Kingdom, and become a Goddess, my worlds I create will never get dirty. Everything will be clean all the time. Cleaning will be banned. But! If I ever want to make it there, I better go give my kids a hug and apologize for my ranting and raving. Hoover vacuum...here I come! Wait, where is my one year old?

3 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I did a giant sweep of the house yesterday, and threw all Adam's crap on his side of the bed. I feel your pain.

Strawberry Shortcake said...

I agree with everything you said, girl! (except for the heating vent thing. Kids can't reach them... they just use the floor. Oh wait, so does my husband). And, at least Jerry would put the sheets in the wash. That would NEVER happen in my house. I get a "could you wash my pillow case" every once in a while. Apparently his laundry skills don't work. I hate cleaning as well. Arg! It puts me in a bad mood. My least favorite are the dishes. HATE THEM! :) You should show a picture of your decorations :)

JoElle said...

I hear ya! Cleaning is never ending!