Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy 14th

Jerry and I celebrated our 14 year anniversary on September 15th. How can time go so quickly on some weeks and seem to have lasted an eternity on other weeks? It reminds me of one of my very favorite books; 'A Lantern in Her Hand' by: Bess Streeter Aldrich. When Abbie Deal's true love comes home from the Civil War and asks her to be his wife. The dialogue goes like this:

"I was afraid all the time, Will"
Will held her close, smoothed her red-brown hair.
Afraid of what, Abbie girl?
"I don't know. Just Afraid."
"You're not afraid with me?"
"Not with you, Will. Why is that?"
"Because I love you and you love me."
"Yes, that's it... and I'm not afraid."
"Of life with me, Abbie-girl?"
"Not of anything, Will, with you."
"And you'll always love me?"
"Always Will,...in this life and the next."

So you understand...this was my vision of what love was as a young teenage girl. Always thinking life held a fairy tale ending for any one who wanted one. Imagine my surprise, when I realized there is no ending and that sometimes you are afraid, and sometimes things go wrong. Maybe Jerry and I don't have a book-ending kind of marriage, but these are all the things I love about my husband.
-He let's me be me. Even when I'm being a bit of a Bee-otch.
-He has worked nights for nine years just so our children won't have to go to daycare.
-He is a hard worker and makes our home and yard look awesome.
-He still thinks I'm hot even though I look so much different than I did when we first got married.
-He is willing to sing really loud in car with me.
-He has given me a love of classic rock(something I didn't think I'd ever want, let alone appreciate)
-He is a wonderful dad.
-He takes me on FUN vacations.
-He still holds my hand even though I know he hates holding hands because he thinks he has sweaty palms.
-He does the laundry and the dishes, and only complains about it once in a while.
-He has a hilarious belly laugh (if you haven't heard it, you really should)
and last but most important...
-He loves me.
Thanks Jer, for fourteen great years. We've had our ups and downs, but I'm glad I've experienced those highs and lows with you.
LOVE YA!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Happy anniversary! We love you guys!